Hummus Health Benefits – Hummus is delicious foods that contain much health benefits. The benefits of these foods can not be separated from the minerals contained therein. Among the minerals in hummus are calcium, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus, iron, and zinc. Besides, hummus also provides a wide range of vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B6, and folate.
Hummus is delicious food from middle eastern. The basic material of hummus is beans and Tahini. The food is usually served with lemon juice, salt, fresh garlic, paprika, or olive oil. The Hummus dish commonly found in countries such as Syria, Israel, Greece, Turkey, Lebanon, and Cyprus but most people around the world love it. Not only tasty but hummus health benefits tremendous to us.
Hummus Nutritional Value
Hummus is a middle eastern delicacy that is rich in nutrients. Here we see how many nutrients are in every 100 grams of hummus.
- Calories: 166
- Protein: 7.9 grams
- Fat: 9.6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14.3 grams
- Manganese: 39% RDA
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Copper: 26% RDA
- Magnesium: 18% RDA
- Folate: 21% RDA
- Phosphorus: 18% RDA
- Zinc: 12% RDA
- Iron: 14% RDA
- Thiamine: 12% RDA
- Potassium: 7% RDA
- Vitamin B6: 10% RDA
If we look at the list of hummus nutrients above. This food is rich in protein so it is a favorite of many people. Besides being rich in protein, hummus is also rich in various minerals that are important for a healthy body.
Here are 7 Benefits of Hummus
1. Helps bone growth
Tahini, Beans contains much calcium, hummus can help bones become strong. So hummus good for elderly to avoid osteoporosis.
2. Overcoming anemia
The next hummus health benefits are treating anemia because hummus have much calcium. While tahini is a good source of iron to help deliver oxygen to blood cells.
If you have iron deficiency and anemia, you can eat foods that are high in iron to help relieve it.
3. Good for allergy sufferers
Hummus is free gluten foods, nuts, and milk. So the food is good for those of you who are allergic. Consuming humus will not make your allergic relapse.
4. Smooth digestion
Hummus health benefits for digestion. One of the most important health benefits of hummus is can help you keep the digestive tract because it has a very high fiber content.
Consuming these foods are known as the most convenient and fast way to get necessary fiber for a body.
5. It has much protein
Hummus has a very high amount of protein that can help you improve the health of bones, muscles, skin, and blood health.
Of course, you can get all the protein from meat, but if you are a vegetarian, this is the best way to add some protein to your diet.
6. Helps to lower cholesterol
Other hummus health benefits are lowering cholesterol. Humus can help you to lower your cholesterol because it contains many beans, garbanzo nuts.
In general, nuts contain many nutrients that can help lower your cholesterol because they contain no saturated fat.
7. Good for dealing with inflammation
Hummus is a mineral-rich food, in general this food is good for consumption because it can prevent and reduce the risk of inflammation. Hummus contains olive oil, which is an ingredient known to fight inflammation.
Olive oil is rich in antioxidants and this is found in anti-inflammatory drugs. Hummus also uses sesame, it is also one of the ingredients that can eliminate inflammation in a person’s body.
8. Alternative for those with allergies
Those who are intolerant to gluten and allergic to some foods, then hummus is an alternative to meet the nutritional needs of the body. Hummus does not contain nuts, so it is also great for those with peanut allergies. It also contains no dairy and is gluten free.
If you buy hummus in a package, then first read the instructions and information on the package. This is so that the hummus you buy is free from preservatives and other ingredients that trigger allergies.
9. Reduce the risk of heart disease
Furthermore, the health benefits of hummus are that it reduces a person’s risk of having a heart attack. Olive oil in hummus is rich in healthy fats that are good at lowering bad cholesterol so that in turn can prevent heart attacks.
The health benefits of beans are not only highly effective in preventing cholesterol in the blood vessels, but they also help you keep your blood sugar levels.
Basic Hummus Recipe
Hummus is a healthy food rich in benefits with high fiber content. There are many recipes on how to make hummus. However, the recipe we share is a basic hummus recipe, as reported by foodrepublic.com.
Let’s see what ingredients must be prepared to make hummus.
- One cup of dry beans
- Baking soda as much as 1 teaspoon
- 6 ½ cups water
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons light tahini paste
- Fresh lemon juice as much as 4 tablespoons
- Ice water as much as 6 tablespoons
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
How to Make Hummus
– Soak the chickpeas in a large saucepan, use cold water and use twice the amount of chickpeas. Soak overnight!
– After soaking the chickpeas for one night, drain it the next day, place a medium saucepan over high heat, add the soaked chickpeas, and also add the dried baking soda. Then cook for three minutes and stir evenly throughout the cooking process. Add water, cook again until boiling, remove the skin that floats on the surface of the water, remove the foam as well.
– Cooking chickpeas takes 20 to 40 minutes, this of course depends on the condition of the beans, fresh or not. Cooking chickpeas here should be very tender and easy to crush. You can check it by pressing with your finger, make sure the beans are easily crushed when pressed.
– Now drain the chickpeas and you should have at least 3 cups of chickpeas. Place the chickpeas in a food processor and blend until thickened and soft. With the engine running, now add the tahini paste, garlic, lemon juice, 1 1/2 tablespoons of salt, and drizzle lightly with ice water on top. Leave it for 5 minutes until everything is well mixed.
– Now transfer to a bowl, make sure your hummus is very soft. Transfer everything from the food processor to a bowl, covering the surface of the bowl with plastic wrap. Now let your hummus rest in a plastic covered bowl for 30 minutes. Now you can enjoy hummus, you can store hummus in the refrigerator and every time you want to use it, let it sit for 30 minutes at room temperature.