Chickpea curry is a healthy food that is very good for health. This is a healthy thick curry and you can enjoy it every week. Curry chickpeas make an excellent dinner or lunch recipe, and a great addition to your weekend preparations.
Today we are going to make for you a delicious and vegan chickpea curry recipe. This vegan food becomes an important food in your daily life as a nutrient-dense menu.
This way of serving vegan chickpea curry goes well with Indian rice or biryani.
Why do we love this vegan chickpea curry?
There are several reasons that make chickpea curry our idol food, including:
1. Chickpea Curry is Cheap to Make
If you go to a restaurant just to eat chickpea curry, you have to spend $15 for one serving only. Why waste money when we can make it ourselves at home easily. We can make it with much more portions and at a low cost.
You can make garbanzo curry in a large pot, it’s enough for the whole family and it’s cheap. For dinner and lunch on a budget, the vegan chickpea curry is the choice.
2. Eat delicious, nutrient-dense vegan
Chickpea curry is a delicious and nutrient-rich vegan meal. The combination of spices makes it a unique dish, delicious, rich in flavor, bright, and perfect for the heat.
This is a vegan food rich in fiber and tasty, good for digestive health.
3. Easy to make
Another reason why you should love chickpea curry is that it’s easy to make. You don’t need a lot of ingredients and a lot of time to make vegan chickpea curry.
Vegan chickpea curry can be served in a short time, you only need 30 minutes to cook it.
4. Healthy food
Cooking vegan chickpea curry uses ingredients like curry powder as the main ingredient. We know that curry powder is rich in anti-inflammatory which is great for preventing arthritis and various inflammatory diseases of the body.
In fact, these foods can lower digestive inflammation, brain and good for preventing diabetes.
5. Makes for great leftovers
The more you store the better, vegan chickpea curry is one of the tastiest foods when you store it for a few days. The rest you can save and enjoy the next day.
The longer you store the chickpea curry, the more even and right it will taste.
The Ingredients for Vegan Chickpea Curry
If you want to make your own vegan chickpea curry, pay attention to the ingredients you have to provide.
– Beans. If you’ve never heard of this name, they’re also known as garbanzo beans. You can also use canned chickpeas, and you can also cook dry beans from scratch.
Note: Beans are a food rich in protein and fiber and free of cholesterol. Chickpeas can also be an excellent meat substitute. If you are lowering cholesterol, then beans are an important food for that and the benefits of beans can reduce the risk of heart disease.
– Curry powder. Another ingredient you have to prepare is Indian-style curry powder. This curry powder is very easy to find in Indian shops. You can use curry powder from any brand, as long as you know how it tastes.
– Tomatoes. If you don’t have fresh tomatoes, you can use crushed canned tomatoes, or diced tomatoes with a little sodium added or preferably no sodium. Canned tomatoes must also be free from various flavorings.
– Coconut cream. Coconut milk is another very important ingredient in making vegan chickpea curry. The coconut milk will give it smoothness, sweetness, and add creaminess.
– Onion and Garlic. It’s a sacred ingredient of Indians. In cooking chickpea curry we use shallots and garlic as the main ingredients. Shallots are a staple ingredient in Indian food.
– Sugar. To give a sweet taste to the sauce you can add a little sugar in the recipe. If you are brown sugar, then this is even better.
How to Make Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry
1. Prepare materials such as:
- Slice the onion and garlic
- Rinse the chickpeas and drain
2. Cook the Curry Base
- In a medium Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add sliced onion, and a pinch of salt, cook for 10 minutes, or until onion is browned.
- Add garlic and curry powder, cook again until fragrant
- Add the tomatoes or canned tomatoes, and cook again until the sauce reduces.
3. Cook the Chickpeas
- Now it’s time to add the chickpeas and coconut milk to the Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Season with sugar and salt to taste.
Cooking Tips for Indian-Style Chickpea Curry
For an Indian chickpea curry, follow these tips.
– Cook onions perfectly.
Cooking onions perfectly is key in Indian cooking. We recommend that the onions be cooked slowly so that the sugar content in the onions can be completely decomposed. Onions that are perfectly ripe are those that are brown in color, not charred. The time you cook them also depends on how much you cook the onions. So, in cooking onions should be slow and should not be in a hurry for maximum results.
– Customize your recipe
You can also make your own version of chickpea curry, so you can add a healthy ingredient to your cooking.
Healthier ingredients, for example, you add vegetables such as spinach, Chinese kale, broccoli, green beans, carrots, potatoes, cauliflower, eggplant, butternut and others. Always add plant-based ingredients to keep recipes vegan.
– Add spicy level
If you are a spicy lover, of course you will want to add more chili to add to the spiciness. Try adding a little chili powder, such as Kashmir chili powder, and cayenne pepper.
How to store leftover vegan chickpea curry?
- Before storing leftovers, allow the chickpea curry to cool at room temperature, no more than two hours or 1 hour especially if the temperature is 90 F or above.
- If it has cooled to room temperature, you can store it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. It will last for 3 to 4 days.
- If you want a longer shelf life of vegan coconut chickpea curry, you can freeze it in the freezer, it will last for 3-4 months.
You may also like:
- Water Spinach Stir Fry (Ong Choy) Recipe
- Lentil Bolognese Recipe
- The Delicious Fudgy Vegan Brownies Recipe
How to Reheat the Chickpea Curry
You can enjoy the frozen chickpeas curry again after reheating.
How to reheat chickpea curry is very easy, you can use the stove, microwave or use the oven.
1. If you are using the microwave, place the chickpea curry in a microwave-safe container, heating for 60 seconds. Stir again for 30 seconds only.
2. Warming chickpea curry on the stove is very easy, use a saucepan and cook for another 5 minutes on the stove, turn off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes.
3. Warming chickpea curry in the oven is also fairly easy. Place the vegan chickpea curry on an oven-safe plate, cover with foil, and cook for 15 minutes in the oven once it’s heated to 350 F. Cook until fully warmed.
Sodium: 3mg, Vitamin C: 5mg, Calcium: 22mg, Vitamin A: 16IU, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 3g, Carbohydrates: 7g, Potassium: 108mg, Calories: 32kcal, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Fat: 1g, Protein: 1g, Saturated Fat: 1g.