One of the unique vegetables with high nutritional content is broccoli. Most people love this food for its delicious and crunchy texture, especially when cooked in noddles.
But there are also those who are not used to it so they don’t like broccoli vegetables. However, you shouldn’t outright deny broccoli’s health benefits. There are some astonishing facts about broccoli that you should know.
Broccoli Facts You Have to Know
Below we write down the facts about broccoli, check it out, who knows you might fall in love with broccoli vegetables.
1-5 Broccoli Facts
1. Broccoli in botanical science is called Brassica oleracea. This vegetable looks like a flower that clumps at the top with a large stalk.
2. The name of this vegetable is “broccoli” is taken from the word “broccolo”, a word from Italian which means the flower on the top or peak that flowers.
Also read: Healthy Mango-Ginger Overnight Oats Recipe
3. Another broccoli fact is a unique vegetable with a dark green color. It looks like a cauliflower, some call it a tree, and the flower is like a thick leaf of trees.
It looks the same as a cauliflower, only a different color. Cauliflower is white and broccoli is green.
4. China and India are the two countries with the largest broccoli income in the world. Even 70% of the broccoli vegetables produced in the world come from these two countries.
5. Facts about broccoli, do you think broccoli is only one type. No, there are three types of broccoli, namely: Calabrese broccoli, purple cauliflower and sprouting broccoli.
6-10 Facts about Broccoli
6. Calabrese broccoli is a type of broccoli that is commonly found in vegetable shops. Broccoli is called Italy’s Calabria. While purple broccoli is a type of broccoli that grows in North America and Europe.
You may find some broccoli that is purple in color, it is a type that is cultivated in North America and some countries in Europe.
7. In 2017, around 26 million tonnes of broccoli were produced worldwide. Two countries, China and India, produce the most broccoli.
They are the main country that produces broccoli, besides that there are also countries that produce broccoli such as the United States, Italy, Spain and Mexico.
8. Broccoli grows well in areas with cold weather, and it will not grow well if planted in warm or hot areas.
9. Broccoli facts are also related to harvest, broccoli should be harvested before turning yellow. If it has turned yellow, it is certain that the taste is no longer fresh.
10. Broccoli originates from Italy, it is developed from wild cabbage and has been around since the 6th century BC
Broccoli Facts, 11-15
11. In 1560 this plant was subordinated to France, from then until 1700 the English called it ‘Italian asparagus’ or ‘sprout colli-flower’. It became famous in the 1920s.
12. American president named Thomas Jefferson really likes broccoli. He then imported the seeds from Italy and then in 1767, he planted them in his garden.
Also read: Amazing Health Benefits Of Green Grapes
13. Another American president, George H. W. Bush, hates broccoli. This he mentioned in one of his speeches.
14. Furthermore, another American president, Barack Obama, admitted that he was in love with broccoli. Thus he revealed in 2013.
15. 90% of broccoli in America is cultivated in California.
Facts about Broccoli, 16-20
16. Tom Landers is the world record holder for broccoli eaters. In just 92 seconds, he can use up 1 pound of broccoli.
17. Americans, an average of 4 pounds of broccoli each year. U.S. based information Department of Agriculture.
18. In a 2017 study at the University of Warwick, broccoli is a vegetable that has anti-cancer enzymes, vitamins, and other nutrients. However, all these compounds are lost when cooked by boiling it.
19. Based on research, if we steam broccoli for 20 minutes, also heating with microwave for 3 minutes, and / or sauteing it for 5 minutes, does not cause loss of cancer-preventing nutrients. However if you want to eat it raw, this is the best of broccoli.
20. Broccoli has the same width and height which is 2 feet. After planting, broccoli can only be harvested after 70 to 140 days.
These vegetables can be stored for 21 to 28 days. There is no special machine for harvesting broccoli, meaning it is harvested by hand.
The Facts about Broccoli, 21-25
21. Talking about broccoli nutrition, the list of nutrients is very long. These vegetables are rich in fiber, vitamin C, vitamins A, B6, B9, potassium, vitamin K, broccoli also contains lots of protein, phytochemicals and contains lots of antioxidants.
22. Another fact broccoli is rich in micro and macro nutrients. Broccoli is also rich in zinc, iron, manganese, and also contains lots of phosphorus.
Also see: Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Come See the Facts
23. A report published in the journal Science Translation Medicine journal, states that consuming broccoli is very helpful for people with type 2 diabetes and obesity. It can also treat symptoms associated with autism.
24. Broccoli is rich in anti-cancer, this is a strong reason why you should eat a lot of broccoli. The antioxidants in broccoli can reduce oxidative stress, and this can prevent cancer.
Consuming broccoli also has an impact on estrogen levels so that it can reduce the risk of developing breasts.