Nootropics, otherwise known as smart drugs or cognitive enhancers, are supplements that boost brain functions, such as memory, creativity, or motivation. These can be from natural sources such as herbs, which ancient people consumed, or synthetic compounds that modern science has concocted.
Students, athletes, artists, musicians, and other professionals can take advantage of its benefits to improve the quality of their work performance and output.
These are the advantages of using nootropics and what they can do for your mind:
1. Boost Your Memory
Anyone who has ever had to study for a test knows how vital it is to be able to memorize facts and figures. No matter how old you are, whether you’re young or advanced in years, a better memory is valuable. Some nootropics are specially made to boost this particular cognitive function even for age-related memory loss. Check this website to read reviews on different supplement brands and find the one that’s best for you.
While nootropics can boost your memory, you still need to ensure that you do all you can to increase your mental capacity through study, discipline, and these strengthening exercises:
● Recall Test – Find a series of names, dates, or things and memorize it. After a few minutes or hours, test yourself and see how many items you can remember in the same order. Doing this every day can work your memory muscles and make them stronger.
● Learn Something New – Whether you want to learn a musical instrument or another language, feeding your mind new and complex information is an excellent way of firing up your brain cells and keep them working. Make sure that you’ll be pursuing something you’re passionate about so you can stay motivated even when you encounter concepts that are challenging to understand.
● Do Mental Math – Practice solving math problems without using pencil, paper, calculators, or your computer. This can improve your memory with the formulas and the steps you need to take to get the correct answer. It can also help your concentration.
2. Stretch Your Attention Span
With so many distractions from online pop-up ads and notifications from our smartphones, it can be difficult to immerse yourself in a particular task, especially when you find it unexciting. Without the ability to focus, it’ll be a challenge for you to learn something new or concentrate on what you need to do. Taking in nootropics can help you with maintaining attention on a specific objective even amid several stimuli.
These are the chemical compounds found in nootropics that can boost your concentration:
● L-Tyrosine – This amino acid helps in the production of neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and adrenaline, which affect your attention, reasoning, and memory, especially during perceived stressful situations.
● B Vitamins – B vitamins such as B9, B12, and particularly B6 can increase alertness while reducing anxiety-like symptoms.
● Pycnogenol – This extract comes from the maritime pine bark and is a natural supplement that improves attention and lessens hyperactivity at the same time.
3. Manage Your Stress Levels
Stress has a negative impact on your mental and physical well-being. Short and temporary bursts of stress can actually strengthen you like when you’re learning or trying something new. However, if you’re continually experiencing headaches, muscle pains, anxiety, and restlessness for a prolonged period, it may be a sign that you have chronic stress. Nootropics assist your body in managing stress. It helps you cope with the stressors by alleviating emotions and physical reactions to them.
Here’s a list of the nootropics you can take for stress management:
● Rhodiola Rosea – It has been used by people from Scandinavian countries to relieve symptoms of stress, like fatigue, exhaustion, and anxiety.
● Bacopa Monnieri – Considered as an adaptogen, or plants and herbs that support your adrenal system, Bacopa Monnieri improves high-order cognition when you find yourself in stressful situations.
● Kava Kava – This supplement that comes from a crop of the Pacific Islands lowers your anxiety while allowing you to feel calm. It can also be a natural alternative to sleeping pills with higher dosages.
● L-Theanine – L-Theanine is a potent amino acid that stimulates alpha waves, which have been associated with having a relaxed but alert state of mind.
Nootropics support your brain by helping it release certain chemicals to improve cognitive functions, such as memory and concentration. It lends you a hand in increasing the speed at which you process information, as well as boosting your retrieval of those data in your brain archives. It also allows you to adapt better to stress by calming your nerves without compromising alertness and focus.